On this Date in History..

On this Day in History..
1327 – King Alfonso IV of Aragon is crowned
1749 – English Ohio Trade Company forms the first trading post
1854 – The cobblestone paving of Washington St between Dupont & Kearny starts in earnest
1898 – Cheerleading is started at the University of Minnesota with Johnny Campbell leading the crowd in cheering on the football team
1904 – The British newspaper, “Daily Mirror,” begins its publications
1947 – Howard Hughes’ “Spruce Goose” built from wood flies for 1st (& last) time
1957 – The first titanium mill is opened in Toronto, Ohio
1959 – Charles Van Doren confesses, TV quiz show-“21,” was fixed
1960 – Roger Maris nips Mickey Mantle as AL MVP, 225-222
1964 – CBS purchases 80% of New York Yankees for $11,200,000, later buys remaining 20%
1974 – Art Modell gets snowed in & misses his 1st Cleveland Brown game in 33 yrs
1983 – President Reagan signs the bill establishing Dr Martin Luther King Jr holiday
1988 – The Morris worm, the first internet-distributed computer worm to gain significant mainstream media attention, is launched from MIT
1993 – Christie Todd Whitman (R) elected the 1st female governor of NJ
1997 – 28th NYC Marathon won by John Kagwe of Kenya in 2:08:12

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s